Mobile goes from 0% to 10% of total digital sales for Time Warner Cable in first three months of mobile search campaign
Friday, June 8, 2012 | 10:00 AM
As smartphone adoption continues to rapidly increase, consumers are increasingly turning to their smartphones to order phone and internet services. Not having internet in their new apartment is no obstacle for today’s smartphone users. Time Warner Cable recognized the opportunity to innovate through mobile, and implemented a mobile strategy in late 2011 together with digital partners Google and Leapfrog Online. Time Warner Cable’s mobile strategy identified the right media buying opportunities and then linked interested consumers to a rich, mobile-focused ecommerce experience.
With Leapfrog Online’s guidance, Time Warner Cable built a mobile-optimized consumer experience that focused in three strategic areas.
- Mobile-optimized site design
Time Warner Cable’s new mobile website deployed strategic functionality specifically optimized for mobile, allowing users to order services right from the mobile website. The new mobile website incorporates the latest best practices such as concise and condensed information, the prioritization of key calls to action, and simplified screen layouts optimized specifically for the mobile screen.
- Designed distinct user-experience pathTime Warner Cable designed unique customer experiences paths based on whether customers were looking to purchase service or receive customer care, driving users to separate mobile experiences with separate dedicated call centers for each. Leapfrog Online continually monitored the campaign with integrated mobile media and call center tracking, constantly adjusting budgets, key words, and even call-center staffing to match the ebb and flow of consumer demand.
- Driving calls and traffic through mobile searchTime Warner Cable recognized that customers with more complex questions or those who preferred a personal touch were more likely to convert over the phone. In addition to promoting their mobile website with search ads, Time Warner Cable added a click-to-call search extension to enable customers to call Time Warner Cable easily and directly from their mobile devices.
In just weeks, Time Warner Cable delivered a brand new channel with stunning results. Key insights and results include:
- Approximately 50% of Time Warner Cable’s consumers sought to complete an order for voice, video and data on a smartphone when given the opportunity
- Approximately 3% of overall digital traffic has been mobile
- Over 10% of total digital sales are driven by mobile with growth of 20% month-over-month
- 30% reduction in cost per acquisition and a 3x increase in conversion rate as compared to desktop, despite continued strong desktop numbers
To learn more, read the full case study here and watch below Google’s Andy Miller’s interview that we hosted yesterday via Hangout on Air with Rob Roy of Time Warner Cable and Cass Baker of Leapfrog Online.
Posted by Kevin Otsuka, Associate Product Marketing Manager, Google Mobile Ads